In this entry of Co-operative Gestalt, we’ll take a look at some co-operative board games either currently on Kickstarter, or have finished fairly recently.
1) Zephyr: Winds of Change by Portal Dragon. As of this writing, it is about half-way to being funded, about half-way through its period. There is a really neat physical mechanic where you can change the “background” of a character card and change it up. Looks very promising.
2) The Daedalus Sentence: Escape from Space Prison, by Eagle and Atlas Games. Funded, and did real well! It also has a really cool physical mechanic, with concentric rotating rings. It is a bit pricey (about $100) but they are saying it’ll have $130 MSRP, so get it now. If the gameplay is good, coupled with a coo mechanical device, this could be real fun!
3) The Red Dragon Inn: Battle for Greyport by SlugFest Games. Set in the world of the Red Dragon In games, this is a deck-building card game where you recruit members of the time to fight off the big bads. The Red Dragon Inn games seem to have a humourous take, so I am hoping this will be be a touch of silly as well. It funded. About $40 for base.
4) Venom Assault by SpyGlass Games. This is a “GI-JOE” co-operative deck-building game. The art is very comic booky (in a good way: think Jim Lee or Byrne in the early days) and looks real fun. This game BARELY funded! About $35 for base game.
5) Mythos Tales by 8th Summit. An mystery game: Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective meets Arkham/Cthulu mythos. About $40 for the hard cover. When it is realeased to stores, apparently it will have a soft cover, so only kickstarters and a few people will get the hardcover. It funded.
6) Sentinels of The Multiverse: Oblivaeon Expansion by Greater Than Games. Seriously, you must have been living in a hole if you didn’t hear about this one! It was a huge kickstarter garnering $1.5 million dollars, with all sorts of options and foil cards.
I adore Sentinels of the Multiverse, and glad to see it did well, but they say this will be the last expansion.
7) Nemo’s War by Victory Point Games. This is reprint/redo of an old game by Victory Point games. It didn’t originally come with a co-operative mode, but in this redo, it does! (Once they reached $63K, they added a co-op mode) It also has a solo mode that looks fun. If you passed this up because it wasn’t a co-op game, check it out! It is! It funded, and was about $56 for base game.
8) Spirit Island by Greater Than Games. It funded quickly, and has some great art. It’s the “anti-Settlers” game in many ways! It’s co-operative instead of competitive, and players play against the Settlers instead of being them! The art was a major plus for this game. About $49 for the base game. It funded.
Unfortunately, all of these games are a ways off until they are delivered (sigh, I ordered all of the above!), but I will start reviewing them as they come in!
Enjoy, and be on the lookout for great co-op games on Kickstarter!